Design Direct 2018
Practical 9 Day Masterclass on the Director-Designer Relationship
Thursday 31st May - Tuesday 12th June F/T (not including weekends)
Apply by Monday 14th May 2018
Design Direct is a pioneering training initiative for eight emerging designers and directors who are keen to pursue a career in theatre.
Led by Tamasha’s co-founder, Kristine Landon-Smith and Designer Sue Mayes, this 9 day course examines in detail the collaborative relationship between Director and Designer. Through practical shared exercises, mentored conversations, insight by visiting tutors on specialist areas, observing work with actors, the directors and designers will grow their knowledge and practical experience of this crucial collaboration.
Both Kristine and Sue will offer tailored training to each individual working with each participant’s particular strengths and grow participants’ confidence in areas where support is needed.
Kristine and Sue worked together on many of Tamasha’s previous productions.
Sue Mayes: Sue has a long and varied career as a designer and a teacher. Her work stretches from Pantomime and Young Peoples Theatre to Film and Corporate Work. After obtaining an Honors Degree from the Central School of Art and Design under Ralph Koltai she began her professional career in traditional British repertory Theatre in Ipswich, then moved into devised theatre at The Belgrade Theatre in Education Company. Since then Sue has worked with many different theatre groups such as Talawa, Nitro, Graeae and especially Tamasha, having designed many of their major productions. She particularly enjoys designing for new writing. As well as designing in conventional theatres spaces such as the Theatre Royal Stratford East, she has designed theatre in prisons and schools.
Course participants will benefit from:
* Individually tailored coaching, training and mentoring
* Observing work with actors from the TDA Acting Masterclass
* Guest Lecturer, who will share their own approach to directing and design
* Discussions around the director - designer collaboration
* An opportunity to meet Tamasha staff and network from industry professionals at the end of the course
How to apply:
It's easy to apply: Email email@example.com with your CV and a short statement of interest with “TDA Design Direct” in the subject. Please also include a completed Data Form which you can download here>
Cost: £215 / £180 (Early Bird - pay by 14 April, Concs - email for more info)
No formal qualifications are necessary to apply for this course, however:
* Applicants must demonstrate a proven and strong interest in culturally specific work.
* Designer applicants will have a design background and be able to demonstrate a strong visual sense and an interest in theatre.
* Director applicants will have some experience or a strong interest in directing
* Tamasha heavily subsidises the course but there is a small participant fee.